The United Kingdom and the United States of America both out-stand rest of the world in terms of having a distinguished and an exceptional education system because every other top university is located either located in the USA or the UK. Here students get to explore an environment which is not only rich in terms of gaining knowledge theoretically but also provides opportunities to them to master the art of implementing their knowledge practically. There is no doubt in the fact that both the countries cater their students in an incredible way and facilitate them in terms of completing higher education. However, there are some notable differences between the two education systems concerning the quality of student life and the education system. Some of the key differences between the UK and US students are given below.
Time duration for Degree Completion
Time length required to complete the degree requirements is the most important difference between the UK and the US education systems. Following are some of the differences between the two regarding time period required for degree completion.
- It takes one year more in the US than the UK.
- In both cases the student can opt for PhD program after his or her undergraduate degree but in the UK it’s more common to start with PhD program after the completion of master’s degree.
- Students under the UK education system have to write course works that are not much diversified and they stick on to the major areas that they have selected unlike the US students who apart from their major course work also get to explore other subjects of various fields.
- For the US students it takes longer time to complete their degree requirements than the UK students because the US students have to cater for more subjects and activities.
Focus of the Education System
- The UK education system encourage students to review their concerned fields which keeps their focus mainly on the aspects of their own area of study. It aims to make students excel in the area of study they have opted for whereas the students of the US, apart from their major subjects, study other subjects outside the scope of their majors and experience the breadth of various fields.
Student Homework and Grading Criteria
- As the education system of the US gives more consideration to the breadth of different academic fields of study, students have to prove their capabilities by undertaking assignments, quizzes, presentations, and formal exam covering percentage of the overall course mark. The rest of the grading depends on other tasks of the semester.
- Unlike the US education system, in the UK the students undergo one final exam mostly with some occasional assignments. At times no assignments are required to be completed rather the final grade is based on one final exam.
Cost and accommodation
|Education cost||Type of accommodation|
Public institutions 2 years cost: Around $ 3000/year
Private institutions 4 years cost: $ 50,000/year
|Provide students with residence halls to live. Students also share bedrooms with at least two students in each.|
Approximately $ 14,300/year
|Usually it’s common to have single bedrooms. Bedroom sharing has also become common in the recent years.|
- US students love having parties and drinking alcohol though the legal age for drinking is 21. In UK students can drink at the age of 18.
- UK students are more self-disciplined than the US students.